- The New York Jets went 4-13 in 2021, one of the worst records in the NFL
- New York’s Super Bowl odds are 200-1 according to Caesars Sportsbook
- Bettors are repeatedly backing the Jets, including a recent $5,000 bet that would pay out $1 million.
- Read more NFL stories here!
The New York Jets have been horrible for the better part of the last decade.
New York hasn’t just been bad, it’s been laughably bad.
The Jets have a 22-59 record over the last five seasons. That’s tied for worst in the league alongside their New York counterpart, the Giants. New York’s -8.4 point differential per game over that span is easily the worst in the NFL. An 11-year postseason drought is the longest in the NFL.
So why are people doing this?
Big bets have been showing up on the New York Jets to win the Super Bowl this offseason at sportsbooks.
— David Payne Purdum (@DavidPurdum) June 10, 2022
Yes, you read that correctly. People are betting on the New York Jets at 200-1 to win the 2023 Super Bowl. An ESPN report reveals that all the way back on Jan. 31 a better placed a $5,000 wager on the Jets at 200-1 with Caesars Sportsbook.
Shortly thereafter, a PointsBet customer in Pennsylvania bet $1,000 on New York to lift the Lombardi Trophy. Each of DraftKings, BetMGM and WynnBET have reported taking $500 Super Bowl bets on the Jets as well.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I’ve liked New York’s offseason. Drafting Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson and Jermaine Johnson III is a huge win. As was signing C.J. Uzomah, Jordan Whitehead and Laken Tomlinson.
But let’s get something straight here, it’s the New York Jets!
Here is a list of things you could do with that money rather than wager it on the Jets:
- Give it to me. My email is in my profile and I was taught to never turn down money.
- Set it on fire. Gas prices are high, maybe you can heat your apartment with dollar bills.
- Donate to charity! Yes, technically spending money on the Jets could be considered a charitable donation. But maybe think of a more worth cause.
I’ll be the first one to get out the clown makeup if the Jets win the Super Bowl. Until then, maybe spend your money elsewhere.