There’s never a dull moment when it involves Brooklyn Nets superstar guard Kyrie Irving, is there?
Let’s do a quick recap of Irving’s timeline over the last year or so.
- Irving decides not get vaccinated, will sit out Brooklyn Nets home game.
- The Nets agree to keep Irving out entirely until the situation is resolved.
- Brooklyn eventually bring Irving back for road games only, to mix success.
- New York lifts its ban and Irving comes back for all games to end the season.
- Brooklyn is eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the first round of the NBA playoffs.
Things only got more and more crazy for Irving and the Nets from that points forward.
- Brooklyn and Irving can’t agree to terms on an extension and rumors swirl about whether he’ll opt in to the final year of his contract.
- Irving officially requests a trade from the Nets.
- He then changes his mind, opting in to the final year of his max contract.
- Just shortly after Irving opts in, fellow Brooklyn superstar Kevin Durant requests a trade and shocks the NBA world.
- This immediately leads to speculation about an Irving trade as well, with one destination clearly the front-runner.
- A proposed deal for Irving to go to the Los Angeles Lakers stalls.
So, What Is Irving Up To Now?
Fast forward to Monday afternoon. Durant’s now been linked to the Boston Celtics, though ESPN reporter Brian Windhorst says there’s no imminent deal for Durant to go anywhere.
Whether Durant stays or goes, now The Athletic’s Shams Charania is reporting that Irving intends to play out his contract in Brooklyn.
Full (rare) Shams Update on the KD and Kyrie situation.
Key point in this video is KD has yet to rescind his Trade Request up to this point. pic.twitter.com/ZpWXJg1UyG
— AJ ™ (@AJsHoopHype) July 25, 2022
“From everything I’ve been told, Kyrie Irving has made his intent,” Charania said. “He wants to play out next season in Brooklyn. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent next summer.”
Just another day in the saga that is Kyrie Irving’s NBA career.